PGA TOUR Legend Billy Casper is proud namesake and a senior advisor to the firm he helped establish in 1989 with Peter Hill and Robert Morris.
Casper's achievements in golf have been considerably chronicled by the media, in books, and in the minds of millions of fans around the world. Since he joined the PGA TOUR in 1956, and in the years that followed on the Senior PGA TOUR, Billy Casper has been known as one of the most accomplished golfers to ever play the game, recently named among the Top 20 players ever by Sports Illustrated magazine.
A two-time U.S. Open Winner (Winged Foot, 1959; Olympic, 1966) and Master Champion (1970), Billy Casper's record on the PGA TOUR is one of the most prolific. He has an astonishing 51 TOUR wins in his career, a figure surpassed by only a select few. And Billy Casper won at least one tournament in 16 consecutive years (1956-1971).
Add to that nine wins on the Senior TOUR, including the U.S. Senior Open (Hazeltine, 1983), and membership on eight Ryder Cup teams - winning more points (23.5) than any other American player. He won the Vardon Trophy five times, a record matched only by Tiger Woods and Lee Trevino. He was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1978 and the PGA Hall of Fame in 1982.
While his playing accomplishments clearly make him one of the greatest golfers ever, his commitment to family make him a role model to all. Married to wife Shirley for 50-plus years, Billy and she raised 11 children, five of whom were adopted into their home. Add 40+ grandchildren and great-grandchildren - with more on the way - it is easy to see that the Caspers' are proud of their family.
Today, Billy Casper lives outside Salt Lake City, Utah surrounded by his family, and regularly tours the country and the world visiting with fans of the game. He competes in several tournaments each year, visits BCG-managed courses throughout the country, and is a member of the Grand Champions TOUR. His charitable contributions are numerous, with a distinct focus on investing in the future of America - our children.
In Billy's words...
"My focus has always been on the youth of America. I believe that these youngsters, the future of our great country, are our most precious commodities. The proceeds from my charitable work help support youth many wonderful programs. All our benefactors are terrific organizations dedicated to broadening our children's views, and teaching them invaluable life skills necessary to compete in an ever-changing world."
We couldn't agree more. Thank you, Billy.
Billy Casper's Playing Achievements
Billy Casper played in 556 PGA TOUR events during his career. His resume includes 380 Top 25 finishes and 51 wins. He went on to play in 293 Senior TOUR events and finished with 152 Top 25s and 9 wins.
Honors and Awards:
PGA TOUR Wins:
- 1956 Labatt Open
- 1957 Phoenix Open Invitational, Kentucky Derby Open Invitational
- 1958 Bing Crosby National Pro-Am Golf Championship, Greater New Orleans Open Invitational, Buick Open Invitational
- 1959 U.S. Open, Portland Centennial Open Invitational, Lafayette Open Invitational, Mobile Sertoma Open Invitational
- 1960 Portland Open Invitational, Hesperia Open Invitational, Orange County Open Invitational
- 1961 Portland Open Invitational
- 1962 Doral C.C. Open Invitational, Greater Greensboro Open, 500 Festival Open Invitation, Bakersfield Open Invitational
- 1963 Bing Crosby National Pro-Am, Insurance City Open Invitational
- 1964 Doral Open Invitational, Colonial National Invitation, Greater Seattle Open Invitational, Almaden Open Invitational
- 1965 Bob Hope Desert Classic, Western Open, Insurance City Open Invitational, Sahara Invitational
- 1966 San Diego Open Invitational, U.S. Open, Western Open, 500 Festival Open Invitation
- 1967 Canadian Open, Carling World Open
- 1968 Los Angeles Open, Greater Greensboro Open, Colonial National Invitation, 500 Festival Open Invitation, Greater Hartford Open Invitational, Lucky International Open
- 1969 Bob Hope Desert Classic, Western Open, Alcan Open
- 1970 Los Angeles Open, Masters Tournament, IVB-Philadelphia Golf Classic, Avco Classic
- 1971 Kaiser International Open Invitational
- 1973 Western Open, Sammy Davis Jr.-Greater Hartford Open
1975 First NBC New Orleans Open
Senior PGA TOUR Wins:
- 1982 The Shootout at Jeremy Ranch, Merrill Lynch/Golf Digest Pro-Am
- 1983 U.S. Senior Open
- 1984 Senior PGA TOUR Roundup
- 1987 Del E. Webb Arizona Classic, Greater Grand Rapids Open
- 1988 Vantage At The Dominion, Mazda Senior Tournament Players Championship
- 1989 Transamerica Senior Golf Championship
Other Event Wins:
- 1959 Brazilian Open
- 1960 Brazilian Open
- 1975 Italian Open
- 1977 Mexican Open
- 1989 Japan Urbanet Championship
In Others' Words
"When people think of golf in the 1960s, they think of the "Big Three" of Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. To the public, it seemed then and seems now like no other pro golfers existed.
"It's been pointed out that, from 1965 through 1970, the Big Three combined for a total of 35 victories on the PGA TOUR. But Billy Casper won 23 all by himself. That says something about Casper, who in my mind is the most underrated golfer of all time, hands down.
"Casper won 51 times on the PGA TOUR from 1956 to 1975. Only [six] players in the history of the game won more, and Casper did it against some of the best golfers of any era. He won the U.S. Open twice, in 1959 and '66, and won the Masters in 1970. He played on eight Ryder Cup teams and captained another. He won the Vardon Trophy five times.
"He was sensational."
- Johnny Miller
"Billy Casper could make a 40-foot putt just by winking at it."
- Chi Chi Rodriquez
"When I came on TOUR, I focused on Casper. I figured he was twice as good as me, so I watched how he practiced and decided I would practice three times as much as him."
- Lee Trevino